Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I need a permit to roof, remodel, put up a fence or sign?
A. Yes, always call the Inspections Department at (620) 225-8105, before you start any of these projects.

Q. Why can't I park in my front yard?
A. There is an ordinance that has passed that prohibits parking in the front yard.

Q. What Zoning District am I in?
A. The City is divided into several zoning districts. (see Zoning Map)

Q. How do I know where my property lines are at?
A. You will need to locate your property pins or hire a licensed land surveyor.

Q. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
A. No permit is needed however, signs are only allowed to be posted on your own property and not on the City Right of Way.

Q. Do I need a permit to paint my house, fence or any accessory structures?
A. If you are using a paint brush or roller brush no permit is required. If you are spraying paint a permit is required along with proof of home owners insurance.

Q. Will I be fined for tall weeds/grass?
A. One notice per mowing season is issued as a warning to the property owner. If the problem is not abated a contracted mower will be sent to mow and the property owner will be billed for the services.
Q. Whose responsibility is it to maintain alleys, easements and right of way?
A. It is the property owner's responsibility. This includes keeping them free of trash, junk, debris, tall weeds and grass.