City Flag Design Contest
Flag Design Contest
September 20, 2020 Extended to September 30, 2020!
The City of Dodge City, Dodge City Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, Main Street Dodge City, and the Dodge City Area Chamber of Commerce are partnering to sponsor a City Flag Design Contest to adopt a new official City flag that will serve as a symbol for Dodge City and source of civic pride. We look forward to seeing your vision for our City!
Design Entry Guidelines:
- Contest entry is free and open to anyone with a connection to Dodge City, Kansas.
- You must submit your flag design entry in digital (EPS, PDF, PNG or JPEG) format or physical format (paper card):
- Submit digital entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail or deliver paper entries to:
City of Dodge City
Attn: Flag Contest
806 N Second Ave
Dodge City, KS 67801
- Each design entry should be in the standard US Flag 1:1.67 proportion, 3 inches tall x 5 inches wide
- Your design entry must be your original work and must not include, be based on, or derived from any pre-existing or third-party designs, trademarks, or copyrighted images, although elements of the City of Dodge City’s brand standards may be used.
- Each entry may only contain one design. You may submit up to three different design entries.
- You must complete and submit the City of Dodge City Flag Design Contest Entry Form with each entry.
- Your entry must be received by 11:59 PM on Wednesday, September 30, 2020, to be eligible for consideration.
- The City of Dodge City is not responsible for entries that are lost, overlooked, damaged, or not received by the contest deadline.
- Your flag design entry will be judged based upon the North American Vexillological Association’s (NAVA) Five Basic Principles of Flag Design:
- Keep it Simple - The flag should be simple enough that a child can draw it from memory.
- Use Meaningful Symbols to the City of Dodge City - The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes.
- Use 2-3 Basic Colors - Limit the number of colors on the flag to three, which contrast well and come from the standard color set (red, blue, green, black, yellow, and white)
- No Lettering or Seals - Never use writing of any kind or an organization’s seal.
- Be Distinctive or Be Related to the City of Dodge City - Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections.
For more information on guidance and the Five Basic Principles of Flag Design: https://nava.org/flag-design-resources/#guidance
Only entries that meet the design entry guidelines will be considered. Entries will be initially reviewed by a selection committee that includes staff from the partnering entities and citizen members of their various boards and committees.
The selection committee will determine the finalists, and the City will request a public vote and input on the final designs. The final designs that are recommended by the selection committee and/or the public vote will be presented to the City Commission for consideration for adoption as the City’s official flag in October of 2020. The City reserves the right to not select a winner.
Download a PDF entry form here.
Complete a digital entry form here.